Tuesday, December 05, 2006

What I want for Christmas...

During dinner the other night, the family was eating at the table, while I strolled around the table. I spend my time between dad and the messy biped puppies, hoping for a morsel of food to be dropped, and licking an exposed knee every once in a while just to see them jump.

Dad derailed the regular conversation by asking if they could have anything for Christmas what it would be. Josh kicked it off by rattling of the modern equivalent of Ralphie’s Red Ryder carbine action two model air rifle. Dad then asked them to pick something that was not a toy. Meagan chimed in with Candy, and dad then asked them to pick something that was immaterial. Both puppies grew quiet as they contemplated the new rule.

Josh was the first out of the gate with, “I would wish that people would get along better.” Meagan followed with “I wish people would learn to share”. Josh then followed with “I wish they would end all the wars”. Meagan then summed it all up with “I just wish people would get along better”.

Mom and Dad furthered the conversation that night with things with stories the kids had from their day at a school, and what was plastered on the news that night. Dad wondered what some of the kids at school would say, and if each story had a child, what they would want for Christmas. Here are a few of his ideas…

    I wish my dad would come back home.
    I wish I had a mom and dad to hug.
    I wish I didn’t have a sister.
    I wish my real mom loved me.
    I wish my mom was home from fighting the bad guys.
    I wish my brother did not do drugs.
    I wish I had a sister.
    I wish my dad wouldn’t hit us.
    I wish I could play with my mom and dad more.
    I wish I had a child to hug.


I know that is depressing stuff, dad had his dark moments no doubt. But something to think about this Christmas, take it from someone who sits back and just watches as you humans run around all the time. Sit down and look into every child’s eyes you see this Holiday season, and wonder what it is they really want for Christmas. I am willing to bet my chew toy, that it is not the hottest toy this season, who you are visiting and when, what people are wearing at church, or who is or is not there. Take a look deeper in their eyes, and start to think what are you really doing to help them?

Now I have to pee, where is mom? I need to go out!

1 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger The Proctors said...

Great blog Max!! Definitely something to think about, and realize that not everyone has it as good as we do. We should definitely be thankful and offer help in any way we can.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home