Thursday, July 26, 2007

Day 3 - Classes start

Dad's class started today, so any sight seeing had to wait till after Five. Mom and Dad made the most of it by hitting the Mall. First stop was the mall to take some pictures of the Washington Monument and the Capitol.

Next stop was the Jefferson monument. Dad took a picture for a family there, and they returned the favor by snapping this picture of Mom and Dad. Then they walked around the tidal basin to the their favorite monument the FDR Monument.



The FDR Monument is Mom and Dads favorite monument and should be on the visit list for any body coming to DC. The memorial uses water to get its point across. At the start of the memorial the water flows are smooth. As his term became more difficult due to the Second World War the water flows become more turbulent.

Here is the first of two of the many great quotes that can be found at the memorial.

"I have seen war. I have seen war on land and sea. I have seen blood running from the wounded. I have seen men coughing out their gassed lungs. I have seen the dead in the mud. I have seen cities destroyed. I have seen 200 limping, exhausted men come out of lineā€”the survivors of a regiment of 1,000 that went forward 48 hours before. I have seen children starving. I have seen the agony of mothers and wives. I hate war."



Here is the second one.

"We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred, is a wedge designed to attack our civilization."

1 Comments:

At 6:47 AM, Blogger Billie said...

I wholehartedly agree...the FDR was my abosolute favorite as well. Glad ya'll are having fun and Kim is doing better than she could be. Praying her headache is much better!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home